Friday 10 February 2012

Shredders in chiffon: Anna Calvi

With her stark onstage look, Anna Calvi is a surprise shredder. Technically, I think she's a shredder in silk, usually red, but you get the idea. She creates her trademark brooding and sweeping sounds with a fairly simple set up - Fender Telecaster, Vox AC30 (in red, of course) and a TRex Roommate reverb pedal, although she does use a delay pedal too, probably a Boss DD7. Reports of a Crowther Hot Cake are unconfirmed at this stage...

Classically trained as a violinist, Anna is a skilled guitarist as she amply demonstrates with the awe-inspiring Rider to the Sea which opens her debut album. Amongst her influences, she cites Debussy, flamenco and film and I reckon it shows.

2 comments:

  1. She's great, Suzanne and I and Blackout are great tracks I don't know why I haven't bought the album yet, Dark and cinematic. I know it's a tag that is often used but the female Nick Cave?? Right up my street!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great album, very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete